Monday 26 October 2009

Rest, God's gift to us.

And God rested on the seventh day from all His work that He had done. Gen 2: 2

One of the thoughts running through my head before we headed off to Disneyland was about justifying our holiday to people that know about it. Do they believe that I have done enough to deserve the holiday. Do I believe I have done enough to need a holiday. Trying to justify going away for 2 weeks by saying we haven't had a proper holiday in 4 years. What am I trying to prove? That I work hard or that I am a hero or that I my work is so stressful that I just have to get away?
God had nothing to prove with resting on the seventh day. He didn't need it. But he knew we would. So He set a pattern of work & rest.
I don't want to get on a performance treadmill where I have to prove my existence & value by what I do rather than what has been done for me & who I am becoming. But I also need to understand that God finished the work before He rested. I want to rest but it has to be resting FROM something, not just my default setting.
Anyway I am going to enjoy my holiday & rest with my family.

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog, have a wonderful rest. We don't deserve any of the good things God gives us that's why he gives us Grace so rest in his Grace Im sure God and Mickey Mouse are friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi son, Just read your blogs and was blessed and challenged by them. Keep up the good work. Hope more people find them and respond to the challenges.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Sharing